Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Time To Live


"There are those of us who are always about to live. We are waiting until things change,until there is more time,until we are less tired,until we get a promotion,until we settle down,until,until,until.It always seems as if there is some major event that must occur in our lives before we begin living." (Quote by Dr.George Sheehan).
Change can be intimidating,even scary. That's one thought that comes to mind when you read the above.The other thought,and one not so often considered is that as we get older we seem less willing to venture out of our comfort zone. Yiannis Kouros was once quoted as saying that an ideal life is one that takes risks and has many challenges.You feel alive,your life has a sense of urgency and purpose when you make the decision to "live" in the manner Dr.Sheehan is referring to above. His quote makes me think of the excerpt by Jack London which was on the back cover of the early editions of Pre! by Tom Jordan.I'm sure most of you have read it but it's well worth rereading and considering.
 
"I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out
in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom
of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time."
So why are you hesitating?
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment